Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
Get Help

Call the Lung Health Information Line

1-888-344-LUNG (5864)

Our certified respiratory
educators are ready to take your questions
(M-F 8:30am-4:30pm)

Where to Find Help

Your healthcare provider can help you manage your work-related asthma (WRA)

First, see your healthcare provider who usually treats your asthma (whether a family doctor, respirologist, or a specialist in WRA). Talk to them about recording peak flows on work days and off work (preferably before your work shift, mid-shift, post-shift and bedtime, recording 3 blows each time).

If you are diagnosed with work-related asthma your doctor may change your asthma medications. Your health-care provider can advise you on work conditions that should be safe for you in the future.

  • For example, if your asthma gets worse from temporary construction at work, then you may need a few days off or to move to a separate area until the construction is finished, or perhaps an increase in asthma medications for a short time.

When visiting your health-care provider, you can also bring in this information sheet to help inform your health-care provider about the diagnosis and management of work-related asthma:

Note: this article is an extensive article intended for health-care providers on the diagnosis and management of work-related asthma.


Allergists and Respirologists

If you work with high-molecular weight agents, then an allergist may be able to perform skin tests to see if you have an allergic response to them. A respirologist may ask you to have laboratory breathing tests (methacholine challenges) done at the end of a work week and the end of a period when you are off work to measure changes. They will also look at your peak flow readings to decide if there are changes that may relate to your work.

Your respirologist or allergist may know of specialists with expertise in work-related asthma who could help you further.

Occupational Medicine Clinics

Occupational medicine clinics can also help assess your work conditions and exposures. Some of these clinics for Ontario are listed in the Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers (OHCOW) website.

What are my rights?

A CANADIAN EMPLOYER who is covered by the Occupational Health and Safety Act has the duty to take every responsible precaution for the protection of a worker.

Claim for Compensation

A CLAIM TO THE WORKERS COMPENSATION BOARD can be requested by yourself, your health-care professional, or your employer.