IS THERE A KILLER IN THE HOUSE, OR EVEN YOUR WORKPLACE? Gasp! More people die from radon gas in this country than from car accidents. And yet, 96% of us still don’t test for it. Caused by the breakdown of uranium in the soil, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking. Seeping into the house through drains, cracks and crevices in the foundation, this radioactive gas escapes detection because it is both colourless and odourless. Get your house or workplace tested for radon. And don’t forget to tell the neighbours, too.
What is radon?
Radon is a colourless, odourless gas that is produced from the natural breakdown of uranium in rocks and soil.
Radon in your home
Radon can enter a home through tiny openings in floors and foundations and build up to dangerous levels. Long-term exposure to radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in Ontario, linked to 850 lung cancer deaths each year.
Testing for radon
Every home in Ontario should be tested for radon, no matter where it is located. It’s easy:
- You can purchase a do-it-yourself test kit from The Lung Association or home improvement retailers (look for long-term kits that allow for at least a three month testing period)
- Hire a certified radon professional.
- To find out more details about testing, click here.
What if my radon levels are high?
The Canadian guideline for indoor radon is 200 becquerels/m3. Action should be taken to reduce the radon level if it reports back higher than 200 Bq/m3. Find a certified radon professional here.
Are you a health-care professional interested in learning more about radon? Take an online course from machealth that will educate you on how to answer your patients’ questions about radon and the health risks.