Get Help

Call the Lung Health Line


Our certified respiratory
educators are ready to take your questions
(M-F 8:30am-4:30pm)


Resources And Information That Support Your Understanding of WRA:

Visit your family physician or nurse practitioner, who can send you for an asthma breathing test (called spirometry) that measures your lung function.

For further reading, the 2008 American College of Chest Physicians Consensus Statement is available here.

What to do Checklist
  1. Adjust your asthma medications if your asthma symptoms are getting worse. Follow your written asthma action plan. If you don’t have a written asthma action plan, ask your health-care professional to create one with you.
  2. Try to identify which work conditions or triggers seem to make your asthma symptoms worse. Find out from your supervisor if that condition or trigger may be modified or removed so that your asthma will not be affected (e.g. by short-term use of a respirator at work, better ventilation, moving to a cleaner area, or changing your job duties).
  3. Tell your health-care professional. You can also bring in this information sheet to help inform your health-care professional about the diagnosis and management of work-related asthma.
  4. Consider submitting a compensation claim, especially if you are missing time from work due to work-related asthma or if you have become sensitized to a work substance. In Canada, this can be started by filling a form that you can get from your provincial workers compensation board. A claim could also be started by your health-care professional or your employer.